On this post we will deal with how artist managers manage artist. Music is a big business that has remained untapped whereas the potentials are limitless. Its a huge community that has many career paths and subsets you can take up in music. Music business is a subject that confuses many who only think you must be talented to venture into music business. On this post DJ SPOILTKID has mapped out one of such careers you can pursue in music and we will like to stay put within this scope of interest.
Artist management amidst so many other subcategories is one part we want to deal with. As an artist you don’t have to do everything by yourself. This is how interesting music business is as you can find a field suitable for you in music and an artist manager is one of these professions found in music business. The artist manager therefore is a professional representative and advisor for a musician or band. The duty of this Managers is to help build an artist’s career and get their client’s music in the hands of producers and label executives, as well as negotiating contracts and setting up tours.
Duties of an Artist Manager?
Artist Manager performs so many behind the scene tasks that will benefit artist success. There are so many responsibilities that these music professionals carry out that sees to the success of today’s artist. This is why you will need artist manager to skyrocket your career to the next level. Below are some of this notable functions performed by artist manager as delivered by DJ SPOILTKID.
- Contracts: The music manager leverages on his managerial acumen to bring forte ideas aligning with best business decision that will benefit music artist. He goes into negotiating deals and contract on behalf of the artist thus simplifying works for the artist who stays put to his creative field.
- Artist Branding and Marketing: As an artist it will be hard to become successful without having someone that brands and market you. This is one of the function an artist manager does for an artist. Take a look at Don Jazzy. Most of the artist he outputs there may have never been heard if they weren’t in the hand of good management team by Mavin record. Thus its important that you understand that the success of an artist lies a lot on good imaging which is what an artist manager will do for you.
- Touring Schedules: As an artist you will be touring places on the course of your career. Manager comes into play here to work with your record label together with booking agent. They work together hand in hand to ensure the tour are in good and secured venues thus ensuring that all that will be needed are put in place even before the artist embark on the tour. This can include strong logistical and planning skills.
- Artist Nurturing and development: As a music managers they have lots of contacts in the industry to link you to the best hands which includes music producers or other artists. The purpose is to arrange a good collaboration that will help push the artist out there. Managers will also be able to link you to a professional that will handle the mixing and mastering of your projects from start to finish.
- Artist Promotion: Without articulated promotion it will be hard to enter and break into the music industry. This artist manager will work hand in hand with music promoters and bloggers that will help spread your products thus drumming it into fans ear. There is a way music promotion will be done and you will be off the the next level within a short period of time.
- Financial management and budget: The potentials of artist managers are huge that they see to the best cheapest way to go about tours and production. Artists rarely have the business acumen or interest in micromanaging every area of their finances. Artist managers leverages on their experience to advise on the best business managers and accountants that will help the artist manage their money.
- Diversification of artist career: When you are in the hands of good managers things fall in place and you most certainly will grow to a stage where you will be called out for a deal outside of your career. You see artists on TV Shows and even in the film and other businesses that differ from music. This is what we call diversification which happens when the artist is in the good hands.